Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Living in NYC, New York but working in New Jersey - what state taxes do I put on my W4 (state withholdings)

Hello,

I am just moved to New York City, but I work in New Jersey. For my state withholdings (W-4 I believe), should I put New Jersey or New York?

My understanding is that at the end of the year for next tax season, I would file a Non-resident New Jersey return and then a Resident New York tax return to ensure I am not taxed twice, but does it make a difference what state I am withholding taxes for on each paycheck? Do I put both states (but then I would be taxed a ton on each paycheck I believe?)

Thanks for any help / advice

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Reply
rjs
Level 15
Level 15

Living in NYC, New York but working in New Jersey - what state taxes do I put on my W4 (state withholdings)

You have to have New Jersey tax withheld. You will be paying most of your tax to New Jersey. You will get a credit on your New York resident tax return for the tax that you pay to New Jersey.

Form W-4 is a federal form. If you are using an actual IRS Form W-4 there is no place on the form for state tax. You fill out a separate Form NJ-W4 for New Jersey. Your employer might have made up their own form that includes both federal and state.

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies