Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

jlag87
Returning Member

Living in Louisiana Working remotely for a company in Florida

I moved from Louisiana to Florida in 2021 for a job out here that has decided to switch to remote only for the second half of 2022 moving forward. I've decided that I'd like to live closer to my parents since there's no requirement for me to go into the office anymore and they're getting into their 70's/need me around more often. So my question is, since my company currently has no nexus in the state of Louisiana and no employees, is it on them to register with the state and withhold my state taxes once I'm back in LA? Or is there a way I could file my state taxes myself without having to become an independent contractor. They're a huge corporation, I doubt they'd want to register with LA for just one employee (me).

Thanks!

x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Reply
DianeW777
Expert Alumni

Living in Louisiana Working remotely for a company in Florida

It depends. Since they are not physically located in Louisiana (LA), generally they would not be required to obtain employer status for LA. This is something you would have to check with your employer about.  You may be surprised to find they could be registered in the state of LA since they are such a big company.

If they are unwilling to withhold the LA tax, and there is no Florida (FL) tax you may want to consider sending in LA estimated tax payments. The following are the tax rates in LA:

What is the Louisiana state income tax rate 2021?   January 10, 2022

Tax Bracket:

Tax Years 2009-2021            Tax Years 2022 and After

$0 - $12,500                   2.00%                                     1.85%

$12,501 - $50,000          4.00%                                     3.50%

$50,000 and over          6.00%                                     4.25%

You can take the percentage to multiply by your gross wages each pay period and set that aside, then send in estimated tax payments on the due dates.

1. LA Estimated Tax Instructions
  2. File online or mail the estimated vouchers
**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies