Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Living in 2 states, 1 temporarily

I am doing my elderly mother's 2020 taxes for her.  She has lived in Pennsylvania for many years.  In June 2020, she moved to live with my sister in Delaware.  After 3 months (in early September), she decided to move back to Pennsylvania.  Her income consists of pension, social security, and some investments.

Do I need to file part-year returns in both Delaware (3 months) and Pennsylvania (9 months)?

Thanks.

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

2 Best answer

Accepted Solutions
ColeenD3
Expert Alumni

No. You can easily make the case that she was visiting your sister, especially since she returned to her home state after a short period of time.

View solution in original post

No state will return tax withheld unless you file to get it back.

View solution in original post

4 Replies
ColeenD3
Expert Alumni

No. You can easily make the case that she was visiting your sister, especially since she returned to her home state after a short period of time.

This just got a little more complicated.  It turns out that when my mother moved to Delaware (from Pennsylvania) in June 2020, she and my sister reported this to to a company from which she receives a pension.  Looking at the 1099-R form for 2020, this resulted in her pension income being reported to Delaware.  Also, there was Delaware state tax withheld from June through December.  (When she moved back to Pennsylvania in September, it took me until January to get her residence address changed on her pension.)

Will I have to file a Delaware state income tax return for her to get a refund of the state tax that was withheld in Delaware?

Thanks.

No state will return tax withheld unless you file to get it back.

I figured as much.  Thanks.

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies