Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Live in Wisconsin remote work to a Minnesota Company after moving

My wife and I just moved from MN to WI with us both working for MN companies but on a full time remote role after moving. That is prior to moving we lived and worked in MN. After moving to Wisconsin mid-year we both live and work fully remote in Wisconsin at our same companies located in Minnesota.

Which states do we expect to file taxes for? After the move should we be expecting just Wisconsin income tax on our pay checks?

x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions
rjs
Level 15
Level 15

Since you now live and work in Wisconsin, you will pay only Wisconsin tax. Your Minnesota employer might not be able to withhold Wisconsin tax. If not, you will have to make quarterly estimated tax payments to Wisconsin. But in any case, they should no longer be withholding Minnesota tax from your pay.

A few states tax remote workers, but Minnesota is not one of them.

For the year that you moved you will have to file part-year resident tax returns in both states. You will pay Minnesota tax on the income that you earned while you lived and worked in Minnesota, and Wisconsin tax on the income that you earned while you lived and worked in Wisconsin.

View solution in original post

4 Replies
rjs
Level 15
Level 15

Since you now live and work in Wisconsin, you will pay only Wisconsin tax. Your Minnesota employer might not be able to withhold Wisconsin tax. If not, you will have to make quarterly estimated tax payments to Wisconsin. But in any case, they should no longer be withholding Minnesota tax from your pay.

A few states tax remote workers, but Minnesota is not one of them.

For the year that you moved you will have to file part-year resident tax returns in both states. You will pay Minnesota tax on the income that you earned while you lived and worked in Minnesota, and Wisconsin tax on the income that you earned while you lived and worked in Wisconsin.

Thank you! That is what I was thinking but wanted to check.

Since my last check was my first where I was fully remote it appears my income check is incorrect as it only has MN Income Tax on it. I can reach out to my employer but not sure if I need to do something to make sure that gets corrected.

rjs
Level 15
Level 15

You have to make sure your employer stops withholding Minnesota tax. You no longer work in Minnesota. The employer has to make the change. Ask them if they can withhold Wisconsin tax. From now on your paychecks should have only Wisconsin tax, or no state tax.

A little extra Minnesota withholding this year won't matter. It will get reconciled on the Minnesota part-year resident tax return that you will have to file at the end of the year, so you will get back any excess withholding. But your W-2 is also going to show the income as Minnesota income, even though you are now working in Wisconsin. I don't know how difficult it would be to correct the allocation of income between the two states on your tax returns. So you should get it corrected as soon as possible. Ideally the employer would correct their payroll records for the incorrect check that they already issued, so your W-2 would show the correct amount of income for each state.

(If they can't withhold Wisconsin tax, your W-2 will probably show no Wisconsin income. That's okay, as long as the Minnesota income is correct.)

To be fair, remote work used to be rare. It has only become common in the last few years. A lot of employers are not really oriented to it, and are just figuring out how to handle it. Their payroll and HR systems are probably not designed to accommodate it.

Make sure your employer has your new address in their payroll and HR records. Among other reasons, they will mail your W-2 to the address in their files. There is nothing new about employees moving, but you have to make sure they update all their records.

This has been extremely helpful. I really appreciate the detailed response as doing searches on the matter had a mix bag of results due to my lack of understanding especially with the changing remote work landscape so thank you!

Yes I worked directly with my HR on actions I can take including billing my time correctly using the Wisconsin code for "where I am working" using Deltek and address change in ADP who administers our payroll and such so I am guess this is an accounting clean up from employer.

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies