Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

gs222

live in NY, work in NJ (part year this year)

I lived in NY all year, worked in NY part year and NJ part year.  My spouse only worked in NY.

As far as I understand, I can file a NJ nonresident return separately in this case, even though we file a joint federal (and NYS) return.

I prepared the mock federal return for myself and completed a NJ return from that.

QUESTION 1- As far as I understand, I include *all* of my income on my NJ return, both from NY, NJ, any interest that's in my name, and half of any earnings from joint accounts in my name.  NJ then takes the % of the total tax burden equivalent to the % earned in NJ. Is this correct?

QUESTION 2- When I transfer my NJ info to my NY (joint) return (form IT-112-R), it asks for the "Amount sourced to and taxed by other taxing authority".  Turbotax automatically input only my NJ sourced W2 income, but NJ calculates taxes all income (including interest and dividends as per QUESTION 1).  Should I change this to add my NY W2 wages as well as the relevant interest/dividends?  Or the % of these ultimately taxed by NJ (based on the % of NJ-earned income)?

Obviously I will change the final tax imposed by other state to be my actual NJ tax burden, but I'm wondering about how to correctly complete Part 1 of the IT-112-R.

Am I missing anything else?

Thank you!

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Reply
MarilynG1
Expert Alumni

live in NY, work in NJ (part year this year)

If you're a Resident of New York, report all your income there.

File a separate Non-Resident State return to New Jersey, reporting only the income you earned there/tax paid there.  Nothing else gets reported there.  Your mock Federal return should only have this info to flow into NJ. 

In your joint NY resident return, report everything.  Just make sure that you enter 'Taxes paid to another taxing authority' as JUST the amount of NJ tax paid, and you may need to also enter the amount of NJ income the tax was based on.

Here's more info on How to File a Non-Resident State Return

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies