turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Returning Member

Live in IL, work for a WI-based company (remotely from IL). W2 taxes withheld in IL, why is Turbotax saying to file a WI return?

Single filer. Lived in Illinois. Work is based in Wisconsin, but I work remotely in Illinois. My W2 shows taxes were correctly withheld in IL.

Why is Turbotax saying "Based on your federal return, you still may need to prepare a return for Wisconsin."?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

3 Replies

Live in IL, work for a WI-based company (remotely from IL). W2 taxes withheld in IL, why is Turbotax saying to file a WI return?

Thre's reciprocity between the two states so no Wi return is needed unless Wi taxes were withheld. 

Did you answer the question "did you earn income in another stat" with a yes?  In your situation, the answer should be no unless you had rental property there or had other income that is sourced to Wi. 

. . 

Returning Member

Hi, can't seem to log back into my main profile, but this is the original poster. Thanks for the reply. I started all my taxes over and answered no to that and didn't get the suggestion anymore. I may have answered yes to that question last year (can't remember for sure), because WI incorrectly withheld taxes so I had to file an IL and WI return to get refunded in WI.

Returning Member

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies