turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Kentucky charitable carryover

Subject Line:   Failure to import 2022 Charitable Carryover into 2023 Kentucky 740 Schedule A

I have had charitable carryover for Kentucky since 2019, and have used Turbotax on the same computer for all those years.  Previously, every year, the amount of carryover from the prior year was automatically imported into Line 10 of 740 Schedule A.  This year Line 10 was left blank, even though other data from 2022 was properly imported.  The result is that Turbotax will not let me choose itemized deductions, nor use any of the considerable amount of carryover that would lower my taxes.

I have double-checked my 2022 return, especially the two Charitable Deduction Limits Worksheets.  The worksheet  “For Carryover Contributions” (that is, prior carryover), Line 44 shows the large sum that is labeled “Carryover to next year”.

For anyone troubleshooting this problem: there were two main differences between 2022 and prior years, regarding my carryovers: 1) In 2022 for the first time, I did not generate any new carryover, so the amount shown in Line 44 of the second worksheet (“For Current Year Contributions”) is zero.   2) Also for the first time in 2022, a small part of the prior years’ carryover was used up while itemizing deductions.  Of course, neither of these facts should have prevented the importing and use of the remaining carryover.

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies