Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

laa2

Itemized deductions higher than standard, but the program is defaulting to standard

I bought a home last year and paid $10K in points on the mortgage. I also paid $21K in interest and almost $7K in real estate taxes. My filing status is head of household, so the standard is $20,800. Even with the deductions listed before, the program is telling me the standard deduction is better, and I don't see an option to force the itemized. Further, the points are described as deductible points in the worksheet calculation, but they are not being deducted at all on the return since I'm being forced into the standard deduction. What gives?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Reply
MonikaK1
Expert Alumni

Itemized deductions higher than standard, but the program is defaulting to standard

Review the worksheets that were included with your return to determine which amount(s) were missing from itemized deductions. Also, you might revisit the mortgage interest questionnaire. It is easy to cause the interest not to be included if  you answer any of the questions incorrectly.

To print your tax return worksheets and schedules after you file, please follow these instructions:

1. Log into your TurboTax account
  2. Scroll to the bottom of page, click Add a State( you are not adding a state, this is just to get in the right menu)
  3. Over to the left, click Tax Tools dropdown
  4. Click the Print Center
  5. Click the Print, save or preview this year's return
  6. Check Federal returns and/or State returns
  7. Select Include government and TurboTax worksheets (optional)
  8. Then,click View or print forms
**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies