Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

sfam

Is there a way around having our TX income taxed on our GA state return since TX doesn't have state income?

My husband worked for 4 months in TX and that's all he worked last year (so all of his income was in TX). He was a W2 employee and it was a short term job. I worked all year in GA as a W2 employee. Our state return for Georgia is taxing all of our income (including my husbands in TX). I was wondering if there was a way around not having GA tax us for our income in TX? 

x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions
rjs
Level 15
Level 15

Is there a way around having our TX income taxed on our GA state return since TX doesn't have state income?

There's no way around it because that's the way the tax laws work. Since you are Georgia residents, all your income is subject to Georgia tax, no matter where the income is from. Even though your husband earned income in a state that does not have income tax, his income is still taxed by the state that he lives in.

View solution in original post

2 Replies
rjs
Level 15
Level 15

There's no way around it because that's the way the tax laws work. Since you are Georgia residents, all your income is subject to Georgia tax, no matter where the income is from. Even though your husband earned income in a state that does not have income tax, his income is still taxed by the state that he lives in.

sfam

Thanks for the help!
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies