Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Matt884

Is it correct that my state taxable income for a new state I moved to be a combo of the previous state and new state?

I recently moved from Colorado to Arizona. When I am filing my Arizona state return it is taking my federal adjusted gross income from both states and telling me that is what is taxable. I feel like I should only be taxed on the income I made in Arizona.
Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

3 Replies
TomD8
Level 15

Is it correct that my state taxable income for a new state I moved to be a combo of the previous state and new state?

AZ Form 140PY asks for your total federal income in order to determine your tax rate, but it actually taxes only your AZ income.

**Answers are correct to the best of my ability but do not constitute tax or legal advice.

You must manually allocate your income.  Arizona income is what was actually paid to you when you were living in Arizona (including bank interest, investments, and so on).  Colorado income is income earned while living in Colorado.  Turbotax might try and guess based on your W-2s but it won't know how to allocate other types of income, and it might be wrong about the W-2s depending on when you moved and when you were paid.

That being said, the states often need to know what your total income was, even though they will only actually tax the in-state income (California is the same way). 

MayaD
Expert Alumni

When allocating your income, you'll need to determine if the income is earned or unearned, as these are handled differently:

• Earned income comes from employment, such as wages, salaries, tips, payment for services, and commissions
  • Unearned income comes from non-employment sources, such as interest, dividends, capital gains, social security, and IRA distributions

Select the income you need to allocate and follow the instructions from the link below:

How do I allocate (split) income for a part-year state return?

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies