Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

gori7

Is F-1 student considered as California resident or not?

I moved to the US California in August 2021 as an F-1 student and got married to an H-1 spouse in July 2022. I switched my visa to H4 in January 2023 and got a Green card in October 2023.

I have 2 questions.

1. Last year, we filed taxes as both residents but I realized that I should have been considered as a non-resident since I was an F-1 student and haven't lived in the US for more than 5 years. Should we refile our case?

2. For the 2023 tax year, should I consider myself a California resident from the date I entered the US as a H4 holder? I am trying to answer "Did you become a California resident during 2023?" in the residency information during 2023 for the state tax form.

Thank you in advance.

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Reply
MarilynG1
Expert Alumni

Is F-1 student considered as California resident or not?

If you filed as a single Resident in 2022, you could reach out to Sprintax to see if you need to file through them as a Non-Resident.

For California residency, they are meaning 'did you move into California during 2023' rather than referring to your visa status.  Since you became a H4 visa holder in January 2023, you could say NO to this question, since you were a California resident for all of 2023 and didn't live in another state during 2023. 

Here's more Tax Tips for Resident and Non-Resident Aliens

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies