Open TurboTax

Why sign in to the Community?

  • Submit a question
  • Check your notifications
or and start working on your taxes
Your taxes, your way. Get expert help or do it yourself. >> Get started
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Returning Member

Iowa 126 filed with mistakes since we are non-residents

You made mistakes on the Iowa 126 form you filed for us as non-residents.  Jan Hamstra was only income earned in Iowa.  Your math is incorrect on line 28 on form 126 that you filed-you had 100% when it should be 1%.. Income for Marty Hamstra should not have been included since earned in Illinois only. We have never lived in Iowa. I have paid this tax but was told by Derrick at Iowa IRS [phone number removed]) that we do not owe this tax.  He said we would get entire amount refunded once you file an amended correct Iowa 126.  Please make sure this is taken care of promptly.  I had planned on using your services next year but how you respond will determine this

2 Replies
Level 15

Iowa 126 filed with mistakes since we are non-residents

this is just a user forum, not TurboTax Support.

Turbotax would not respond in any case.

If an amendment is needed, you have to prepare and file it.


Some states will take a state amended return via e-File.

Make sure your amendment is correct since you can e-File only once.



Level 15

Iowa 126 filed with mistakes since we are non-residents

The allocation of income on IA Form 126 is based entirely on user input.  If the allocation on your original return was incorrect, it is due to user error - and it is up to the user to file an amended return as @fanfare indicated.

**Answers are correct to the best of my ability but do not constitute tax or legal advice.

About Community

Learn about taxes, budgeting, saving, borrowing, reducing debt, investing, and planning for retirement.



Manage cookies