Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

pkapadia

Interest on US Gov notes and bond

I work in NY and live in NJ, and I have been using Turbo Tax for few years now.

Just finished my tax returns, but kind of confused why TTax subtracted Interest on US Gov notes/bond amount from NY state column on IT-203 tax form of NYState.

TTax asked how much of total interest income from Federal tax is NY Source income, and I replied -0- (zero).  So on IT-203 NYState tax form, TTax reported full interest as taxable income on line 2 under Federal amount column and none (zero) on NY State amount column.  But then, US Gov notes/bond interest is substracted from both Federal and NYS amount column on line 27 from both column adjusted gross income line 19.

NYS tax guide ono page 23 of https://www.tax.ny.gov/pdf/2022/printable-pdfs/inc/it203i-2022.pdf , reads:

Line 27: Interest income on U.S. government bonds
Did you include interest income from U.S. government bonds or other U.S. government obligations on lines 2, 6, or 11?
• If No, go to line 28.
• If Yes, enter in the Federal amount column and, if applicable, the New York State amount column the amount of interest
income you earned from bonds or other obligations of the U.S. government.

I hope any TTax software developer/expert can explain me why US Gov bond/notes interest income is substracted from New York amount column when it is not included as taxable income under line 2?  It there a software glitch?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

4 Replies
MarilynG1
Expert Alumni

Since you are a New Jersey Resident, NJ taxes all your income, which includes interest, dividends, etc.

New York only taxes you on income you earn there, and NJ gives you a credit for any tax paid to NY.

Which is why TurboTax subtracted your US Government interest from NY.  

Here's detailed info on Investment Bonds you may find helpful.

More info on How to File a Non-Resident State Return

@pkapadia 

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
pkapadia

But my US gov note interest is not included as taxable income for NY.  Then how can turbo tax subtract that amount from other taxable/wage income?  That means I am not paying NY tax on true taxable income.  Let me give s simple example:

Federal taxable income $100

Fed taxable US gov interest $10

NY state taxable wage $100

Above $10 from Fed taxable income already excluded on NYS taxable income. If you deduct this $10 from NYS taxable income, I am paying tax only on $90, which is wrong.

And BTW, US gov bond interest is also not taxed in NJ.  Please read pdf doc link page 23 for IT-203 NY non-resident tax form I posted in my first message. 

LenaH
Employee Tax Expert

If your IT-203 shows a deduction of U.S. government bond interest on Line 27 (but nothing on Line 2), you need to remove the interest amount on the screen, New York Subtractions Allocation. Make sure there is a 0 in this box. 

Please see the screenshot below for additional clarification. I was only able to replicate your error if I didn't enter an amount on the NY Additions Allocation screen, but did enter an amount on the NY Subtractions Allocation screen. 

@pkapadia 

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
pkapadia

Thank you LenaH.  That was my understanding as well and was trying to point out as why TurboTax is substracting my US gov bond interest from NY amount column on NY State IT-203 line 27. TTax should automatically not subtract when nothing is reported on line 2 under NY portion column. Hope they fix this software glitch immediately. 

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies