Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Indiana State Tax Returns | Did not receive 1099s

I have not received 1099s (INT, DIV, B) from my broker and interest payers for 2020. I have prepared my Indiana taxes however, thinking to file them by mail.  Since, I do not have 1099's to attach what should I send in place of that? I have some online Income distribution from my broker. Should I attach print outs of that? Or what else should I do?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

3 Replies

If you don't have Forms 1099, you don't need to attach anything regarding to your investments to your state return. You distributions could be return of investments or other non-reportable income.  

Thanks @npierson7. I do have dividend and capital gain incomes. However, my broker has not withheld any taxes on it. Also, they have not issued 1099-B to me for the capital gains. For the  interest income they did issue me a 1042-S (due to some confusion), however, this 1042-S also doesn't has any withholdings.

I have reported all these DIV, and capital gain income in my return. My question is only that do I need to attach any supplementary documents as I do not have these 1099s or should I try to secure these from my broker?

ToddL99
Expert Alumni

Ideally, you should contact your broker and request the appropriate Form 1099s. If they were filed with the IRS, you should have them to prepare your returns.

You do not have to attach any explanation (or supplementary documents) to your return.

If you cannot obtain these forms from your broker (or they don't exist), just report your income using your records. If the taxing authority (IRS or state) has any questions, they will contact you.

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies