Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Taxestaxes2023
Returning Member

Indiana direct debit cancellation

I filed my Indiana personal income tax return through Turbo tax and opted to have the tax payment withdrawn directly from my checking account by filling out the form IT-8453OL where I included my bank info. Not realizing I had opted for direct debit, I made the tax payment through Indiana department of revenue website via INTIME. When I tried to find out ways to cancel the direct debit, both TurboTax and Indiana department of revenue stated on the phone they cannot do it and will need to call the other party. I called my bank, and they are saying I need to call Indiana department of revenue. So my question is who exactly is in charge of initiating the direct deposit? Is it TurboTax or Indiana department of revenue? How do I go about cancelling the direct deposit so that I don’t make a double payment and prevent overdraft? 

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

2 Replies
PaulaM
Expert Alumni

There is not a way to cancel a direct debit set in motion when you efiled your return.  Only the state revenue department would be in a position to cancel a direct debit since the form IT-8453OL is authorizing the state to debit the taxes owed. 

Try reaching out to the state revenue office again. 

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
Taxestaxes2023
Returning Member

So I’ve talked to two different agents at the state revenue department on the phone with one of them being a “team lead.” They repeated that I would have to reach out to TurboTax and that there’s “nothing to cancel” on their end. Very frustrating! 

EDIT: so I was not able to stop the automatic debit payment as neither TurboTax nor Indiana department of revenue was able to help me with it. I had scheduled the debit to come out from my checking account t 3/1 when I filed via TurboTax and it came out on 3/4. I called the department of revue and they are saying the refund (overpayment) will be issued via paper check and can take up to 30days. What an awful experience. 

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies