Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

achall

In which state do I pay taxes when I live abroad but work in the US?

I am moving to Europe. I will work there and also have a remote job in the Illinois. I am from Michigan, have a Michigan license, and have Michigan residency with my parents (at the moment). Where will I owe money? Would it be best to change my residency for tax purposes? 

x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

2 Replies
pk
Level 15
Level 15

@achall , generally IRS recognizes the source of income as where the work is performed.  Thus :

(a) if the work you perform for an entity in IL,  with a Tax Home  in say Germany, then the income is foreign sourced  ( Germany ) for US purposes.

(b) Many states  tax you on world income while a resident of that state.  Therefore  and when I was an Expat in Germany, many of my colleagues moved their residency , prior to  moving to Texas  or similar states with NO income tax -- just a driver's license  and a PO Box.  Different states deal with this situation differently.  

(c)  Please see the following information  ( including Pub 54 )  for Expats :

U.S. citizens and resident aliens abroad | Internal Revenue Service (irs.gov)

Is there more I can do for you ?

TomD8
Level 15

Illinois does not tax non-resident remote workers.  So you'll owe no taxes to Illinois unless you physically perform work within Illinois during the tax year..

Michigan will regard you as a resident (making all your income taxable by Michigan) unless you change your domicile to another state or country.  Michigan has a form which will help you determine this:

https://www.michigan.gov/taxes/-/media/Project/Websites/taxes/Forms/All-Years/3799.pdf

**Answers are correct to the best of my ability but do not constitute tax or legal advice.
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies