Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

In the state section, there is a question about whether I took the standard or itemized deduction for prior year. Is Turbotax asking about the federal return or state?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

3 Replies
maglib
Level 11

In the state section, there is a question about whether I took the standard or itemized deduction for prior year. Is Turbotax asking about the federal return or state?

@cdenorch   Normally this question is only asked during the Federal portion of the interview.  The reason it is asked as if you itemized and claimed deductions for those state tax payments the year prior, then got a refund for what you claimed py as a deduction.  

What state interview are you doing?  If the question is definitely during the STATE itself interview, and does not identify it would be the state it is asking about.

If you respond with the state, I won't get back till tomorrow afternoon to help any further.

**I don't work for TT. Just trying to help. All the best.
***Say "Thanks" by marking as BEST ANSWER and clicking the thumb icon in a post and that I solved your question
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
I am NOT an expert and you should confirm with a tax expert.

My mistake.  I was working on my state taxes and I must have hit a combination of keys that landed me back in the federal tax section unbeknownst to me.  I realized that a bit later.  Thanks for replying.

maglib
Level 11

@cdenorch can you mark as solved so you no longer get email reminders? Glad it worked out as at first I was perplexed that a state would ask this. Thanks.
**I don't work for TT. Just trying to help. All the best.
***Say "Thanks" by marking as BEST ANSWER and clicking the thumb icon in a post and that I solved your question
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
I am NOT an expert and you should confirm with a tax expert.
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies