turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

somasoma

Illinois tax credit

I live in Illinois but work in California. I requested for tax credit for the tax paid to CA but didn't receive any credit from IL for the CA state tax. What are the next steps to fix this? I believe I'm in a double taxed situation.

Thanks

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

3 Replies

Illinois tax credit

If you complete a non resident CA return and then the IL resident return then you should get the credit for the taxes paid in CA automatically ... if you don't you will need to address this in the IL interview. 

TomD8
Level 15

Illinois tax credit

When you have to prepare two state returns in TurboTax, it's important that you complete the non-resident state return first, before you do your home state return, so that the credit flows properly.  There are one or two exceptions to this rule, but not Illinois & California.

**Answers are correct to the best of my ability but do not constitute tax or legal advice.

Illinois tax credit

In the MY INFO section you indicated which state you lived in and all the other states where you worked ... thus the program will put all non resident states first in the STATE tab ... you need to always completed the state returns in the order listed ... if you do not then you will need to make the calculations or entry for the taxes paid to other state manually.   The program only works well when you follow the interview tree as presented.

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies