Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

swheatl98
Returning Member

IL State Return AGI issue

Hi there

my wife and I live in Illinois, but she works in Missouri. She does NOT have an Illinois license. TurboTax wants both of our Illinois AGI’s from 2022 to be put in, however she has no previous Illinois AGI because she’s only worked in Missouri. An alternative would be putting her Drivers license number in, but she only has a Missouri license which won’t work.

naturally TurboTax then tells me that this means we’ll have to physically mail it in, however I can’t change my status to “file by mail” because we’ve already decided through TT to have our deposit pay for the taxes we owe Illinois in the first place… somebody please help

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

6 Replies
TomD8
Level 15

Does she have an IL-PIN?  Illinois will accept an e-filed return without the AGI if the taxpayer has an IL-PIN.

https://tax.illinois.gov/questionsandanswers/answer.59.html?wcmmode=disabled

Otherwise you may have no choice other than mailing in the Illinois return.

**Answers are correct to the best of my ability but do not constitute tax or legal advice.
swheatl98
Returning Member

Can she get an IL-pin without an Illinois license?

also, the issue is we CANT choose “mail in” because TurboTax won’t let us change since we’ve already picked our payment options

TomD8
Level 15

To obtain an IL-PIN, she needs either an Illinois DL, an Illinois State ID card, or her prior year AGI.

**Answers are correct to the best of my ability but do not constitute tax or legal advice.
TomD8
Level 15

@swheatl98 

This previous TT Q&A describes changing payment methods:

How do I remove Pay With My Refund fees in TurboTax Online and change my payment method? (intuit.com...

swheatl98
Returning Member

She has no pin as she has no Illinois license. My issue isn’t with sending it in, I can do that no problem. My issue is TT won’t let me change “how I’m paying” for the money owed on Illinois from anything other than what I picked (pay from my federal refund) and as such am unable to swap its category to “pay by mail”

swheatl98
Returning Member

Following these links and directions only ever leads me to being able to see my receipt from TT, no option to change how it’s being paid

this shouldn’t be this complicated

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies