Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

jonesebo

How do I determine the CA amount of K-1 income from an s-corp if I moved from CA to TX mid year? I did not receive a California Schedule K-1.

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

4 Replies

How do I determine the CA amount of K-1 income from an s-corp if I moved from CA to TX mid year? I did not receive a California Schedule K-1.

If the partnership does business in California then your Schedule K-1 should have included a Schedule K-1 for California.  This form will show the California amounts.

If the partnership does not do business in California but you are a resident of California, then the entire amount of your Schedule K-1 income will be taxable by California.  

If you are a part-year resident of a state, you are permitted to allocate your income.  If you cannot specifically identify how much of your K-1 income relates to California, then you may allocate the income by months, or even days.  For instance, if you lived 5 months in California and 7 months in Texas, then 5/12 or .42% of your income would be allocated to California and the remainder is Texas income.

Tim-Tarby

Things were going well and I was easily transferring the info from the California K1 into Turbo Tax. I had no problem with the federal input.  After inputing the data up to line 17D, I am completely lost. Turbo Tax offers NO HELP with this at all.  I have no idea where to find or how to figure out what portion of  some total I made in California.  Turbo Tax does not use the same wording as the K1 so I do not know what corresponds to what.  Don't I sound lost?

you need to add a california return.    you file as a CA non-resident.  California needs to be complete before  Illinois.  the info to enter for Ca comes from the CA k-1.  if done right you should get credit on IL some or all of the taxes paid to CA. 

somewhere during the interview process you'll be asked if you had income from another state - answer yes.

Tim-Tarby

hi Mike and thanks. I did not know about filling in the CA taxes first, but luckily I had done it that way.  Overall, Alabama came first and then CA.  I did notice my Illinois tax owed was decreasing as I went through the CA forms, even though I have not even opened the Illinois return.  Mike..How do I determine how much of my W2 wages actually came from CA sources?  This is my biggest challenge right now.  Obviously I know my annual salary and I know what my bonuses totaled for the year.  The remaining would be my shareholder distributions, but how do I know what portion was specifically CA?   I think I discovered the answers to my issues about doing the CA taxes.  I switched to the forms view because the questions I had to answer did not seem appropriate based on the K1 I received.  What I found was that because I am married filing jointly and my spouse is self employed a few of the questions that were asked after I finished the K1, actually pertained to my spouses business which is exclusively in Illinois.  CA needed to know if any of my spouses business took place in CA, but the Easystep does not differentiate.  It only became apparent when I switched to the forms view.

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies