Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

If I was a travel nurse whose tax home/permanent address was Iowa but worked for a company out if omaha nebraska for a hospital in tennessee but got paid only from the company in Omaha Nebraska and n

Do I have to file taxes in TN, NE and IA?
Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

2 Replies
ToddL99
Expert Alumni

If I was a travel nurse whose tax home/permanent address was Iowa but worked for a company out if omaha nebraska for a hospital in tennessee but got paid only from the company in Omaha Nebraska and n

File tax returns in your home state (IA) and in any state where you physically worked (TN). Do not file a NE tax return.

It is irrelevant where your employer was located - you only owe tax to your state of residence and any state where you earned money.

Your home state (IA) taxes all your income, wherever it is earned. Other states can only tax income you earned in their state. IA will give you a tax credit for the TN taxes (nonresident state) you paid on your IA tax return (resident state). This is how the states avoid double taxation,  by allowing a state credit in your home state. 

Just follow the TurboTax guide when working on your states (remembering to do your non-resident state return first) and TurboTax will do all the calculations for the credit to your resident states return 

TomD8
Level 15

There is nothing for you to file in TN.  TN only taxes interest and dividend earnings above certain thresholds.  It does not have an income tax.

An Iowa resident whose only out-of-state income is from TN  needs to file only an IA tax return.  Such a person's income is 100% taxable by Iowa.

**Answers are correct to the best of my ability but do not constitute tax or legal advice.
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies