Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

If I moved from MO to IA in 2023 while working remotely from KS the entire year, which states would I be able to claim credit on which states?

In 2023 I worked remotely for a company in Kansas. January to February I lived in Missouri and then I moved to Iowa for the rest of the year. I'm trying to file my state taxes and I'm absolutely confused and could use some guidance.

My W-2 lists I paid state taxes for KS  (Jan-Feb) and then IA (Feb-Dec).  I understand that I will apply for partial-year residency for MO and IA and then non-residency for KS, but the issue I'm not understanding is claiming credits for other states. Which of the states can I do this on and which states could I add as credit?
Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

2 Replies
MayaD
Expert Alumni

If I moved from MO to IA in 2023 while working remotely from KS the entire year, which states would I be able to claim credit on which states?

If you moved in Feb, make sure to allocate  Feb. income correctly between MO and IA. 

Check how to do that when you continue working at the same job while living in 2 different states:

How do I allocate (split) income for a part-year state return?

You would claim credit for taxes paid to another state on your MO return for taxes paid to KS while you were MO resident (Jan- Feb). 

dor.mo.gov

For accurate calculation, prepare your non resident return first. 

How do I file a nonresident state return?

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
TomD8
Level 15

And you can claim credit on your IA tax return for the taxes paid to KS after you became an IA resident.

**Answers are correct to the best of my ability but do not constitute tax or legal advice.
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies