Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

If I lived abroad for 6 months out of the year as a Fulbright Scholar but still maintained a residence in GA, where do I add this info?

The scholarship was for teaching and it was not for studying.
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Reply
TomD8
Level 15

If I lived abroad for 6 months out of the year as a Fulbright Scholar but still maintained a residence in GA, where do I add this info?

If GA is still your domicile (your main, primary home, to which you intend to return), and your stay abroad is temporary, then for state tax purposes you remain a full-year resident of GA.  In the Personal Info section of TT, you would enter GA as your State of Residence.  The mailing address on your tax return should be the address you want the IRS and your state to use in case they need to contact you.  (Those contacts are done by regular mail.)

As long as you are domiciled in GA ALL your income remains taxable by GA, regardless of its source.

You may want to review this IRS tax reference regarding taxation of U.S. citizens living abroad:

https://www.irs.gov/individuals/international-taxpayers/us-citizens-and-residents-abroad-filing-requ....

**Answers are correct to the best of my ability but do not constitute tax or legal advice.
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies