Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

If I live in illinois but do online remote work for a company based in nevada, do I file 2 state returns?(I'm a w2 employee)

Also when tt asks if I work in 2 states, does this count?
Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

3 Replies
TomD8
Level 15

If I live in illinois but do online remote work for a company based in nevada, do I file 2 state returns?(I'm a w2 employee)

Nevada has no income tax, so there is no Nevada tax form to file.  Your income is 100% taxable by your resident state of Illinois.  In TT, answer No to the question about having earnings from another state.

Also, if your employer is not withholding Illinois taxes for you, then you need to begin making quarterly estimated tax payments to IL.  See this reference:

https://tax.illinois.gov/content/dam/soi/en/web/tax/forms/incometax/documents/currentyear/individual...

**Answers are correct to the best of my ability but do not constitute tax or legal advice.

Thank you very much, I didn't want to trigger an audit by putting no to that question. 

MonikaK1
Expert Alumni

As an Illinois resident, you will report all of your wages, including those earned working remotely for a Nevada-based employer, on your Illinois state return. Nevada doesn't have a state income tax.

For more information on this topic, see Multiple States—Figuring What's Owed When You Live and Work in More Than One State.

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies