Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

agrade132

If I live in CT and my employer is based in MA, but I telework 100%, which state/s do I pay income tax too? Which state/s should I withhold income tax for? Thank you!

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

2 Replies

If I live in CT and my employer is based in MA, but I telework 100%, which state/s do I pay income tax too? Which state/s should I withhold income tax for? Thank you!

Will you be receiving a W-2 from your employer? 

You probably need to speak with your employer regarding state withholding.

Hal_Al
Level 15

Q.  If I live in CT and my employer is based in MA, but I telework 100%, which state/s do I pay income tax too?

A. CT

Q. Which state/s should I withhold income tax for? 

A.  CT, if you employer is willing to do that.  Some employers are unwilling to do that, in which case you will need to make estimated quarterly tax payment to CT.  Ask your employer not to withhold MA tax; they are not required to do so, in your circumstance. Reference: https://www.mass.gov/guides/withholding-taxes-on-wages#:~:text=If%20you're%20an%20employer,filing%20....

A few states (New York,  Pennsylvania, Nebraska, Delaware and Arkansas ) tax telecommuters, but Massachusetts is not one of them. 

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies