Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

klare1963

If I am filing on behalf of a deceased taxpayer, should the Pennsylvania form PA-40 be showing a Y next to deceased and a date of death?

The federal form 1040 is showing Deceased, the Person's name and date of death at the top. But to me it seems like this information did not translate to the PA-40 form because it is showing N next to Deceased and N next to Tax Payer date of death
Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Reply
MarilynG1
Expert Alumni

If I am filing on behalf of a deceased taxpayer, should the Pennsylvania form PA-40 be showing a Y next to deceased and a date of death?

Yes, the PA-40 should show a Y next to deceased and a date of death.  Are you preparing the return for a  Single Taxpayer?  Pennsylvania requires a surviving spouse to file separate returns for themself and their deceased spouse. 

There are a couple things you could try.  Delete the Pennsylvania State Return.  In TurboTax Online, go to State Taxes in the left-side menu, then use the Trash Can Icon to delete the PA return.

Go back to the MY INFO section in Federal, and page through the screens where you entered Deceased and Date.

Then close TurboTax, clear your Cache and Cookies, and return to the State Taxes tab.  Recreate the PA return and see if the PA-40 now shows the correct info.

If you're using TurboTax Desktop, in FORMS mode, you can simply mark the correct choices right on the PA-40.

Let us know if this doesn't resolve the issue, and we'll try to help further.

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies