Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

jessie1

If a film producer is based in NJ, but films in other states, do we have to file in all states if we return to their home state to edit?

Film producer is based in NJ, we often travel to film outside our home state. When is the income considered sourced in that state?

x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions
rjs
Level 15
Level 15

If a film producer is based in NJ, but films in other states, do we have to file in all states if we return to their home state to edit?

Income is sourced in another state when you do any work in that state. You probably have to file in every state where you do any filming (unless it's one of the few states that don't have state income tax). There are accounting firms that specialize in multi-state tax filing for performers, professional sports players, and others who work in many different states. It sounds like that's what you need.

View solution in original post

4 Replies

Who are "we"?  You may need to file a Partnership or Corporate tax return.
jessie1

Thanks, but that is not the question I was asking.
rjs
Level 15
Level 15

Income is sourced in another state when you do any work in that state. You probably have to file in every state where you do any filming (unless it's one of the few states that don't have state income tax). There are accounting firms that specialize in multi-state tax filing for performers, professional sports players, and others who work in many different states. It sounds like that's what you need.

jessie1

Thanks! I was thinking the same, I guess I would just have to look into the individual states. Thanks again.
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies