Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

I worked home in Mississippi in 2022 & my employee was based in California. I paid state tax to Mississippi /Federal during the year. Cali is saying I owe $102 now?

This is what I found online from a website, but not sure the legality of it: THE REMOTE-WORK TAX RULE

The rule is, if a nonresident receives W-2 wages for work performed out of state, even if it’s from a California employer, the income is not subject to California income taxes. In contrast, if a nonresident receives W-2 wages for work physically performed in California, then the income is likely subject to California income taxes. In short, it’s not who pays the wages of a nonresident, but where the work is performed. I have worked remotely and traveled, doing contract work for years, and never have I ever paid another state other than my own if I did owe. So, is it just California or am I missing something. Any advise or InSite would be greatly appreciated, Thanks in advance.
Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Reply
DaveF1006
Expert Alumni

I worked home in Mississippi in 2022 & my employee was based in California. I paid state tax to Mississippi /Federal during the year. Cali is saying I owe $102 now?

"THE REMOTE-WORK TAX RULE states if a nonresident receives W-2 wages for work performed out of state, even if it's from a California employer, the income is not subject to California income taxes"

This is from an unofficial source that I found in a website for Manes Law at their following website. I didn't find anything specifically in the California tax code other than the fact that California does tax remote workers who are independent contractors. 

What i suggest is that you send us a tax file so we can see why you are being charged a tax.

You can send us a “diagnostic” file that has your “numbers” but not your personal information. If you would like to do this, here are the instructions: 

At the top menu in the black line at the top of the page go to Online. 

1. From the menu, select Send Tax File to Agent. 
  2. You will see a message explaining what the diagnostic copy is. Click Send and then you will get a Token number. 
  3. Reply to this thread with your Token number. This will allow us to open a copy of your return without seeing any personal information.  

If using online:

1. Click on Tax Tools in the left menu bar
  2. Click on Tools>share my file with agent
  3. press ok and you should get a token number

We will then be able to see exactly what you are seeing and we can determine what exactly is going on in your return and provide you with a resolution.

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies