Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

I work in Texas, but my mailing address is in Arizona. How do I change state tax info?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

5 Replies
BillM223
Expert Alumni

I work in Texas, but my mailing address is in Arizona. How do I change state tax info?

Where is your domicile? The place you call home, the place where you "live", have a home, a phone number, a mailing address, a drivers license, voter registration, and so on.

Do you live in Texas but commute to Arizona to work?

The general rule is that you pay tax to the state where you work and to the state(s) where you work. In you case, of course, you don't owe tax to Texas, but if you are working in Arizona, then you will have to file a non-resident return there.

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

I live in Texas 90% of the year and spend the rest of my time traveling to Arizona. I tried to change my state in Turbo Tax but had difficulty doing so since I paid state tax the previous year in Arizona as I spent the majority of my time in Arizona that year.

ee-ea
Level 15

I appreciate the link, but I have already updated my personal information. I have a mailing address where I have my mail sent in Arizona. Updating my Texas address didn't change the State tax prompt which still goes directly to Arizona.

DawnC
Expert Alumni

You can have an AZ mailing address, but you need to enter TX in the resident state box if you are trying to avoid a AZ return.   Do you have Arizona income entered?    Are any of your wages from Arizona, or did you have any tax withholding from AZ?  

If you don't need an AZ tax return, delete it or don't file it.   Your mailing address can be anything - TurboTax generates state returns based on your State of residence!   

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies