nomayo4me

I work in PA but live in NJ, we are filing jointly- both W2s are on federal but only his income (earned in NJ) is showing up on the NJ state return.How do I correct this?

DianeW

First check the W2s to be sure the state withholding section has the correct state selected in box 15 based on what the employer put in that box.

• In the search box upper right type W2 > Jump to W2

Next, when you are in the NJ return, be sure to check the residency status and select "Full year resident" as shown on the attached screenshot.  As a full year resident in TurboTax the income will flow to that return.

• State Taxes tab > Continue to review residency > If necessary delete and add back
  • Click to enlarge and view the screenshot

PA and NJ are reciprocal state which means PA will refund all of the withholding and charge no tax on wages earned by a NJ resident.  The PA return should be completed first as a nonresident and then the NJ return.

DianeW