Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

tmtosh

I work in CA and live in Oregon and stuck on tax credit paid to another state.

x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

3 Replies
DS30

You will get a state tax credit on your OR resident state income tax return for any taxes paid to CA for income that is also taxed in OR.

You will need to file as non-resident for CA (for your CA source income only - your CA wages). You will also need to file a OR resident state tax return (for all income from all sources including CA wages). You will get a state tax credit in OR for any CA state taxes that you paid on your nonresident CA state tax return.

You will want to work on your non-resident CA state tax return first. You will then take a tax credit from your non-resident CA taxes on your resident OR state tax return. (Please note that you will only get a tax credit for your CA taxes up to the amount of OR taxes that would have been paid if the income was earned in OR). 

You only get a state tax credit on your OR resident state tax return for CA taxes paid. You will not get a credit in CA because you are only required to report CA source income on your CA nonresident state income tax return.

Just follow the TurboTax guide when working on your states (remembering to do your non-resident state return first) and TurboTax will do all the calculations and credits to your resident states return

Here is additional information about filing in multiple states (select "see more answer" to view the entire attachment)

https://ttlc.intuit.com/replies/3300797

afrank
Returning Member

That's mostly what I thought. However at one point Turbotax listed about five states that Oregon does not allow for credit paid to another state and California was one of them. So that directly contradicts what I had thought and what you are saying.

I haven't downloaded the California state tax from TurboTax yet. I will do that and see if it does something different. 

But that brings up another question in that I've already done my Oregon state taxes in TurboTax and I have to do the California first. How do I reset the Oregon so I can do the California one first?

JohnW222
Expert Alumni

Please see the TurboTax Help article “How do I delete my state return in TurboTax Online?” or "How do I clear my state return in the TurboTax for Windows software?" as appropriate for guidance in clearing your Oregon return.

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies