sorter50

I was stationed in Georgia from January-July, but retired in August and became a Georgia resident. Why does it appear I owe Georgia state taxes on my active duty income

ToddL

This is probably happening because of how you answered the Personal Interview questions.

Active-duty military (and their spouses) are considered to live in their state HOR no matter where they are stationed. Their active-duty pay (and spouses local pay) is considered to be earned in their state HOR. 

When you complete the Personal Interview:

1. Select Georgia as your state of residence on December 31, 2016;
  2. Answer "Yes" when asked if you "Lived in another state in 2016?" That would be your HOR state while you were on active duty.

ToddL