turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

I was granted RSUs when I lived in CA. I moved to NY in 2022. In 2023, my RSUs vested. How do I answer "Did you make money in any other states"? Are these RSUs CA income?

Is there anything special I need to do while filing taxes this year since I've been a resident of NY for the entire year, but RSUs that were granted in CA vested this year?
Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

2 Replies
KrisD15
Expert Alumni

I was granted RSUs when I lived in CA. I moved to NY in 2022. In 2023, my RSUs vested. How do I answer "Did you make money in any other states"? Are these RSUs CA income?

The income is recognized when the stock vests. 

That is when the income should be reported on your W-2.

If you were a resident of NY when the stock vested, it will be NY income. 

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

On my W2, I have CA and NY state wages (boxes 15, 16, and 17 have values for CA and NY). I found this article that I think claims that CA will tax for the time I lived in CA between stock grant and vest date (see the RSU section of https://www.ftb.ca.gov/forms/misc/1004.html). Does this mean I'm essentially getting taxed twice (once on the vested shared in NY and then another for a portion of the vested shares for my time in CA)? Do I need to file state taxes for both NY and CA?

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies