wardsanford

I want to file a Virginia Tax extension and pay the tax within 6 months. But the form 760IP want me to enter a payment number and it won't accept zero.

I'm also not sure if this is the correct form.  It looks like a payment form.

MiriamF

Form 760IP is a payment voucher for an automatic extension and is the only formal application for an extension in the state of Virginia. You will use this form if you anticipate owing tax.

If you don't expect to owe tax, then you don't need to make a formal application for an extension in this state.

As with the federal government, state income tax is a pay-as-you-go system. The state and federal governments want their tax money as it is owed. If you are unable to pay at this time, then make payments as you are able, but we do recommend making at least a small payment at this time.