Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

I travel for work training new restaurants on how to operate, do I need to file a state return for each state I work in?

I work in my home state most of the year, but occasionally I am sent out of state for 2-3 weeks to work in another state training all the new crew. Will I need to enter multiple state returns for each state I work in? I don't ever fill out new documents or any paperwork when I travel, they just switch my job code with payroll and I'm paid a different wage. I've just never worked out of state, so this is unfamiliar territory for me.
Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

2 Replies

I travel for work training new restaurants on how to operate, do I need to file a state return for each state I work in?

I think I answered my own question when I realized that I only have tax information regarding my home state on my w-2 from the company. 

Hal_Al
Level 15

Yes, but "nobody" does. See http://money.cnn.com/2013/06/28/pf/taxes/business-traveler-tax-threat/  If you live in a state without an income tax (e.g. FL or TX), it’s more likely you should file in the work states. You can't use the "it all comes out even" rationale for not filing.

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies