Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

baileya14

I started a job in Missouri last year. Mid year I switched to an Illinois location (at the same time we switched payroll companies) but my tax information never changed. All of my state taxes on my pa

x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

7 Replies

I started a job in Missouri last year. Mid year I switched to an Illinois location (at the same time we switched payroll companies) but my tax information never changed. All of my state taxes on my pa

I'm sorry.  What part of my answer was not helpful?
baileya14

I see that part of my question didn’t post. It should read that all of my state taxes on my paychecks were paid to Missouri when they should have been paid to Illinois. Now my w-2 has all my income as being made in Missouri when half of it was made in Illinois. My company payroll person and the company that does our payroll has been informed of this for two months and I have yet to get answers from them.

Please see my updated and hopefully more helpful answer below.

The payroll company isn't likely to correct this for you as it requires them to file amended forms to both the IRS and the states involved.  However, you can correct this issue yourself by filing two Part-year resident returns, one for Missouri and one for Illinois.  Part-year returns allow you to allocate (divide up) the income according to where you lived when you earned it.  You said there was a change of payroll companies when you moved to Illinois, so you can determine your wages by state yourself.

You will most likely end up getting a refund from Missouri and you will have to pay over the Illinois tax yourself.  Don't forget the due date for your payment to Illinois is April 15, 2019, but if you file Missouri soon and select direct deposit of your refund, you may have the money in time to pay Illinois.

baileya14

I lived in Illinois all year. How would that change it? Or would it change it? I live on the state border so I can travel daily for work.

Illinois Resident return.  Missouri Non-Resident return.  Even easier - be sure to do the Missouri return first.
baileya14

So I’m not going to have issues in the future if I don’t have the w-2 corrected?  That’s my real fear. I don’t want to have the state come back at me for it.
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies