turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

sueg615

I recently moved to Florida from New York. I have income from both states but when I enter my Florida income it is being taxed in New York. How do I fix this?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

7 Replies
ColeenD3
Expert Alumni

I recently moved to Florida from New York. I have income from both states but when I enter my Florida income it is being taxed in New York. How do I fix this?

Did you enter the information for being a part-year resident of both states in the Personal Info section? This is needed to separate the incomes.

Make sure that you enter the NY state info on your W-2 in Boxes 16-19 and indicate the FL income on the FL W-2.

ukjake3
Returning Member

I moved from Florida to Oklahoma, but the same thing is happening. I don't have anything to enter for boxes 15-20 for the Florida income while I lived there. Now all of my income is being taxed at the Oklahoma rate which is not correct. How can I differentiate the Florida income from when I lived there so I am not being taxed on it by Oklahoma?

sueg615

I have done all this and it still taxes my Florida income. Any other suggestions?

MaryK4
Expert Alumni

Where are you seeing that the Florida income is being taxed?  Once again, the Florida income is used to get the tax rate and then the rate is applied to the New York income ONLY.  

@sueg615

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
Danasia1998
Returning Member

Hi i’m new to turbo tax & im very confused it tells me how much i will be getting back & it’s been saying ready to mail. just want to make sure i have did everything correct. it also says to e-file other returns by april to the irs which i don’t have. 

sueg615

I entered my NY income first and then when I entered my FL income my state tax refund dropped several hundred dollars.  Why does NY base their tax rate on my Florida income?  There is no Florida state tax?

MaryK4
Expert Alumni

New York uses your total income to determine your tax rate, then applies it to the New York income while you were a resident.  New York has a progressive tax system- meaning the higher the income, the higher percentage of tax is applied. 

For example, if the NY tax rate is 10% up to $100, 25% for $101 to $250, 50% $251 to $500

If you made $200 total but was only a Part Time NY resident for half the year,using only your NY income ($100) would tax you at 10%- but you made $200 all year so you must pay at the 25% tax rate.  It's only "fair".

@sueg615

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies