Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

I moved from Massachusetts to South Carolina. The W2 gives me the total taxes withheld. Where do I find how much was paid to each state?

Turbo tax section on the state is called non-Massachusetts portion of decutions. Enter the non-Massachusetts portion of the amount you paid during 2023 to Social Security, railroad, Medicare US or Massachusetts retirement. This is the amount that belongs to the other state. If all the taxes you paid are Massachusetts sourced, enter zero. How do I get this information.
Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

3 Replies
TomD8
Level 15

I moved from Massachusetts to South Carolina. The W2 gives me the total taxes withheld. Where do I find how much was paid to each state?

"Where do i find how much was paid to each state?"

There will be a separate line for each state in Box 15 of your W-2 if state taxes were withheld for two different states.

**Answers are correct to the best of my ability but do not constitute tax or legal advice.

The W2 in field 15 says total state. In field 4 and 6 on the state copies have the same dollar amounts.

TomD8
Level 15

You would divide those items according to your taxable income allocation between the two states.  For example, if you earned 50% of your taxable income as a resident of MA, the MA portion of Boxes 4 and 6 would be 50%.

In other words, the MA portion is the portion attributable to income you earned in MA.

**Answers are correct to the best of my ability but do not constitute tax or legal advice.
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies