Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

I mistakenly filed as a Maryland resident and need to refile as a DC resident. How do I do this and get a refund from Maryland?

I will also need to file in DC for the past two years, which I have not done, although I have had taxes taken out of my paycheck for DC. Will there be a penalty as well?
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

2 Replies
TomD8
Level 15

I mistakenly filed as a Maryland resident and need to refile as a DC resident. How do I do this and get a refund from Maryland?

You cannot use the online version of TurboTax to file previous year's tax returns.  The current version of TT Online is good for tax year 2023 only.  If you wish to use TurboTax to file for previous years, then you must purchase the appropriate CD/Download version of TT, which you can find here:

TurboTax® 2022 Prior Year Tax Prep - File Past Years' Taxes (intuit.com)

If your DC withheld taxes exceeded your DC tax liability for those years, then you will not be subject to a late filing penalty.  Otherwise, see this:

https://otr.cfo.dc.gov/node/388782

DC and MD have tax reciprocity for wages and salaries.  If you live in DC and work in MD, then you should file MD Form MW 507 with your MD employer.

https://www.marylandtaxes.gov/forms/current_forms/mw507.pdf

**Answers are correct to the best of my ability but do not constitute tax or legal advice.
Hal_Al
Level 15

Q. How do I get a refund from Maryland?

A, You file an amended MD return. 

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies