Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

I’m from Ohio and I’m currently in the military. I’m station in California. Every year we receive all of my Ohio sate taxes back. But this year I’m not.

x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

2 Replies

I’m from Ohio and I’m currently in the military. I’m station in California. Every year we receive all of my Ohio sate taxes back. But this year I’m not.

Military income is deductible for Ohio residents not stationed in The Buckeye State. Turbo should ask questions about your service. (Income Taxes and the Military).

Check the following:

1. Click on My Info in the left column. In the box with your name, do you see "Served in U.S. Armed Forces?" If not, Edit and complete the military info.
  2. Click Federal > Wages & Income and review your W-2. Is "Active military duty" checked on the screen Let's check for uncommon situations?
  3. Click State > Continue Ohio > Go over Ohio again
  4. Continue to Here's the income that Ohio handles differently. Under Military, select "Ohio Resident Military stationed outside of Ohio."
  5. You will see Enter Your Military Pay. Enter the amount of military pay to be subtracted.

OH military pay.png

Thank you for your service.

Hal_Al
Level 15

You must check the "Served in the US armed forces in 2020" box at Personal info, in the federal section, to get TurboTax to give your the right questions in the rest of the interview. 

After you enter the W-2 there's a screen with a bunch of check boxes asking if any of those situations apply. One of them is Active Duty Military. If that box is checked, then the Ohio state program will ask about the deduction for military stationed outside of Ohio. It should be the first topic listed on the "Here's the income that Ohio handles differently" screen.

With a valid DFAS EIN, on your W-2, the Military W-2 box should automatically be checked.  

In the Ohio interview, it will first ask you if you were in the military, then it will explain what qualifies for the deduction, then it will ask you to enter the amount.

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies