Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

I'm filing a nonresident CA return I live in IL. I see some posts say I can deduct my HSA via misc. adj. (2019) because i'm a NR. Is this valid or no?

My IL employer contributed to my HSA.  Am I able to deduct my HSA via Misc. Adjustment like some posts say so back in 2019?  This is for my 2023 taxes.
Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

2 Replies
MonikaK1
Expert Alumni

I'm filing a nonresident CA return I live in IL. I see some posts say I can deduct my HSA via misc. adj. (2019) because i'm a NR. Is this valid or no?

Yes, when you start a California return in TurboTax, the program will add back any HSA contributions deducted on the Federal return. 

If the HSA contributions were made in another state, as you noted, you can enter a subtraction in the California interview to restore the subtraction from Federal AGI, as was discussed in this thread.

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

Thanks.  That solved it and it worked.

Seriously pissed that the CA nonresident portion of Turbotax Deluxe is so bad and faulty that I have to do it manually even though it even asks me the question about HSA and deductions.

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies