Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

I'm currently not being prompted, nor is there anywhere else I can add my Indiana 529 contributions. Is there a work around I'm unaware of, or is a fix being worked on?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

7 Replies
MayaD
Expert Alumni

I'm currently not being prompted, nor is there anywhere else I can add my Indiana 529 contributions. Is there a work around I'm unaware of, or is a fix being worked on?

Indiana taxpayers can get a state income tax credit equal to 20% of their contributions to a College Choice 529 account, up to $1,500 per year ($750 for married filing separately).

Open your Indiana return:

1. Continue until you see the screen Take a look at Indiana credits and taxes.  
  2. Go to the Education section on this page and click Start or Update beside the line Indiana College Choice 529 Plan to enter your details.
**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

That is not an option for me under education or anywhere else on that page. 

PaulaM
Expert Alumni

MayaD is correct.  Try clearing your cache and cookies if using TurboTax online. Then log back in and navigate back to your state taxes, and then to the section that reads: Take a look at Indiana credits and taxes. 

Scroll down to the Education section and select: Indiana CollegeChoice 529 Plan. 

This did not work.  I've cleared cache and attempted on both Chrome and Edge.  The 529 option is not showing up in the education section.

MonikaK1
Expert Alumni

To clarify: 

Return to the Indiana state interview. Go through all of the screens until you see the one labeled at the top, "Take a look at Indiana credits and taxes" See the screenshot below for the first two sections and items that appear on that screen:

Please confirm whether you found this screen and these sections.

If you see the Indiana CollegeChoice529 plan, click the Start button on that line. More screens will appear and you can enter your contributions.

I've done that and my options are very different from what you're showing, part of which is the omission of the 529 under Education.   Is it possible I need a different version of Turbo Tax?  My friend apparently filed in Indiana with no issues.  I'm confused as to why I'd see different options regardless.

JamesG1
Expert Alumni

In TurboTax Online Deluxe version, in the Indiana state income tax return, I am able to access the screen Take a look at Indiana credits and taxes.

I am able to access Indiana CollegeChoice 529 Plan and select Start/Edit to the right.

What version of TurboTax are you using?  Are you using TurboTax Online or TurboTax Desktop?

@rmha213329 

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies