I'm a PA resident, but a full-time college student in NC. My parents claim me. I worked last year at home and school. Should I file a state return in PA or NC or both?

martindan1992

I'm a PA resident, but a full-time college student in NC. My parents claim me on their taxes. I worked last year at home and at school. Should I file a state return in PA or NC or both?  

KrisD

You may need to file in both states, the one in which you worked and the one in which you live. Below is a link to determine if you will need to file in North Carolina for the income you earned working there. Even if the estimate shows tax due, check the withholding on your W2 from that state to see if you had enough withheld and paid, in which case filing a return may not be necessary. 

https://www.ncdor.gov/2017-individual-income-tax-estimator