I started a NY non resident. How do I create a full refund from NY when the W2 shows NY withholding?
You have to file Non resident NY return and allocate your income in order to get a refund from NY state.
I strongly recommend that you start with the nonresident return to make sure the calculation is done correctly. Here are the steps to allocate your income:
- On NY state return you will answer No to the question if you lived in NY.
- You don't have NY source income since you did not live or work in NY.
- Answer Yes to the question "Were all your wages earned in NY?
- On the next screen you will select the W2.
- choose to allocate by percentage .
- Enter 0% for income earned in NY.
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
When reviewed I got this error message: Wages,Salaries, Etc,Col D New York wages were reported on federal Form W-2 but no wage income has been allocated to New York. This will cause the efiled return to be rejected by New York state.