Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

I lived and worked in MA from Jan 1st to mid-August. Moved to NY, and worked for the same company remotely in NY. Do I complete PartYear or PY/NonResident for MA?

I can't figure out if I should complete Massachusetts Part-Year or Massachusetts Part-Year/Non-Resident. I lived in MA from Jan 1st to mid-August and worked in an office in MA during this time. After I moved to NY, I worked for the same company remotely full-time in NY. From Jan 1st up until my move, I paid state taxes to MA. After my move, I paid state taxes to NY (where I lived and worked from). The question "Did you earn income from a Massachusetts source or employer during the time you did not live in Massachusetts? " confuses me... The employer is in MA, but I was not. If I choose "Yes", TurboTax asks me to fill the non-resident form, but per my understanding, this is if I earn income while physically working in MA and being a non-resident. Can someone confirm whether or not I should be completing non-resident form? The income amount would be $0 for income earned in MA while non-resident (the form doesn't like this)

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

2 Replies
pjburton2

I lived and worked in MA from Jan 1st to mid-August. Moved to NY, and worked for the same company remotely in NY. Do I complete PartYear or PY/NonResident for MA?

whatever state you lived in for 183 days of the year for was your primary residence

The poster must file part year resident returns in both states.
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies