turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

tjy21

I live/work in TX but work remotely for an IN company/IN w2. No state taxes were withheld & TX does not have state income tax. Do I file a non-resident IN return of $0?

My IN wages were reported on my W2 as my full salary and I would be indicating the $0 was earned while working in IN--is that right?
Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

2 Replies
ee-ea
Level 15

I live/work in TX but work remotely for an IN company/IN w2. No state taxes were withheld & TX does not have state income tax. Do I file a non-resident IN return of $0?

If  you were not physically present in IN you owe  nothing to IN

Hal_Al
Level 15

Q.  Do I need to file a non-resident IN return?

A. No, since you did not physically work in IN and there was no IN tax withheld for which you would need to claim a refund.

If your employer reported your wages in box 16 of your W-2 with "IN' in box 15, there is a chance that you will hear from the IN Dept. of Revenue. You'll have to reply, explaining the circumstances.  You can not head that off by proactively filing an IN return with 0 income.  Try to get your employer to stop doing that, it's wrong. 

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies