Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

k_hammon

I live in TX with no state income tax; my spouse works in ND and does pay state tax there; can we take the state deduction for ND on our TX taxes vs sales tax ded?

x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions
DS30

I live in TX with no state income tax; my spouse works in ND and does pay state tax there; can we take the state deduction for ND on our TX taxes vs sales tax ded?

Yes - You have the choice to claim either the state income tax deduction (for any income taxes paid to any state) or the state sales tax deduction (for only your state of residence) but you cannot claim both.

Therefore, if the income taxes that your spouse paid to ND are more than your TX sales tax deduction, you will want to claim the ND income taxes on your Schedule A.

View solution in original post

1 Reply
DS30

Yes - You have the choice to claim either the state income tax deduction (for any income taxes paid to any state) or the state sales tax deduction (for only your state of residence) but you cannot claim both.

Therefore, if the income taxes that your spouse paid to ND are more than your TX sales tax deduction, you will want to claim the ND income taxes on your Schedule A.

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies