geralyn103

I live in ny and work in nj and only nj taxes taken out. I know I will owe NY state but am I supposed to get back all or most of NJ taxes that were paid?

maglib

First file your federal return, Make sure to state that you worked in another state in the personal info section interview.

then fill out your non-resident NJ return.

lastly do your resident NY return.

In your NY return you will get a credit for taxes paid to NJ on double taxed income. It's not $ for $. They both have different calculations for income and different tax rates.  TT handles this for you.

When you do your NY return, in the very beginning there may be a question about income double taxed, you remove the NJ income as I said NY and NJ calculates differently.

I hope this was helpful.  If you have any questions while entering the interview, don't hesitate to ask.

**I don't work for TT. Just trying to help. All the best.
***Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post

maglib

lastly do your resident NY return.