Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

dev-s

I live in NJ and got a 1099-MISC from a PA business. How do I report this information properly on the PA state return items: Federal amount, PA amount, PA withholding?

I live and work in NJ where I get my W-2 from my main job. During the summer I work in PA and I got a 1099-MISC from the PA business. I am filing my PA state return and now I am unsure how to file my W-2 (NJ live and work) under compensation summary. Also, I'm trying to report the 1099 (work in PA live in NJ) nonemployee compensation and I am unsure of the amounts to place in line items: Federal amount, PA amount, and PA withholding. On my 1099-MISC form there is only one amount on line 7 (nonemployee compensation). 

x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions
LisaBr

I live in NJ and got a 1099-MISC from a PA business. How do I report this information properly on the PA state return items: Federal amount, PA amount, PA withholding?

On your 1099-MISC income, the amount in Box 7 - Non Employee Compensation, is the Federal, and State (PA) amount.  There were no Pennsylvania state withholdings for that income.

Your New Jersey W-2 is excluded from Pennsylvania taxes so that income and taxes would not be part of the Pennsylvania reporting.

If your question was something else that I did not understand, please clarify.

View solution in original post

4 Replies
LisaBr

On your 1099-MISC income, the amount in Box 7 - Non Employee Compensation, is the Federal, and State (PA) amount.  There were no Pennsylvania state withholdings for that income.

Your New Jersey W-2 is excluded from Pennsylvania taxes so that income and taxes would not be part of the Pennsylvania reporting.

If your question was something else that I did not understand, please clarify.

dev-s

@TurboTaxLisaBr Just to clarify, for my W-2 information leave it as it currently is in the first two photos? (Which means do not edit it and make the income taxable for PA?) I was getting confused because of the clause where it mentions if I am a NJ resident in the first photo that I need to change my wages to zero to claim a refund - so that is basically stating to not report it as income, right?
dev-s

@TurboTaxLisaBr Just to clarify, for my W-2 information leave it as it currently is in the first two photos? (Which means do not edit it and make the income taxable for PA?) I was getting confused because of the clause where it mentions if I am a NJ resident in the first photo that I need to change my wages to zero to claim a refund - so that is basically stating to not report it as income, right?
LisaBr

Correct.  Sometimes the wording can get confusing, especially this time of night.  Never edit your W-2's or 1099-MISC info.  That's what the IRS and State see and they expect the amounts and information to be the same.
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies