Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

timcath1

I live in California and have a farm in Neb. Ttax transfers the farm information from Fed to California return and does not show up on the Nebraska return. What do I do

I want Farm info on Ne and not Cal return

x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions
DanielV01
Expert Alumni

I live in California and have a farm in Neb. Ttax transfers the farm information from Fed to California return and does not show up on the Nebraska return. What do I do

It actually does go on both.  Since you are a California resident, California taxes all of your income.  So, your Farm income is included with California.  (California gives you a credit for any tax you pay on your Nebraska return for this same income, to avoid double-taxation).

For the Nebraska return, you will make a manual entry.  As you suggest, the information does not automatically transfer over to the Nebraska return because it is not your resident state.   Also, the program does not assume that all of your farm income belongs on your nonresident state return.  However, if all of your Farm income is in Nebraska, and you don't have another similar category of income, TurboTax should have the Federal Amount of Farm income on the Nebraska Income Allocation screens.  You will override the zero and put the correct number.

Complete the Nebraska return first.  As mentioned, you do receive a credit on the California return for the Nebraska income, so you want to find out the exact amount of Nebraska income and tax to enter on the California return to get this credit.

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

View solution in original post

1 Reply
DanielV01
Expert Alumni

It actually does go on both.  Since you are a California resident, California taxes all of your income.  So, your Farm income is included with California.  (California gives you a credit for any tax you pay on your Nebraska return for this same income, to avoid double-taxation).

For the Nebraska return, you will make a manual entry.  As you suggest, the information does not automatically transfer over to the Nebraska return because it is not your resident state.   Also, the program does not assume that all of your farm income belongs on your nonresident state return.  However, if all of your Farm income is in Nebraska, and you don't have another similar category of income, TurboTax should have the Federal Amount of Farm income on the Nebraska Income Allocation screens.  You will override the zero and put the correct number.

Complete the Nebraska return first.  As mentioned, you do receive a credit on the California return for the Nebraska income, so you want to find out the exact amount of Nebraska income and tax to enter on the California return to get this credit.

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies